Monday, July 23, 2012

Sneeky Cheezy's


            As I worked on laundry on the lower level of our split foyer home early this morning after yet another restless slumber, I heard the ever familiar sound of Nan's Rollator Walker make its way down the hallway, into the living room and pause.  I did a quick double take with the clock noting the time, its zero-six-thirty, she is never up this early?! 
            She must be looking around for me, thinking that I once again fell asleep on the sofa watching TV since I had left the TV on while I came down to tend to the laundry.  She continues on, sounds as if she is heading towards the end table where I presume that she is attempting to locate the remote to turn the television off before she heads back towards her bedroom, or possibly the bathroom if she hadn't already made that stop.  I cannot help but to chuckle as I know the remote control to the television is not in it regular spot and is instead on the back of the sofa where I had set it down after previously changing the channel from the infomercial that took over the channel I had been watching.  [another pause] I can hear her maneuvering around, completing her three-point turn and return in the direction she came.  On the way she once again pauses, after several moments I hear the TV shut off [good girl she located the remote] Off she goes with her Rollator Walker leading the way (smh, I will get her to start utilizing her 4-prong cane on a more regular basis - no matter how much resistance I obtain, lol) retreating down the hallway into her bedroom to climb back in bed where she will sleep until I awaken later in the morning.
            I run upstairs to grab my iPad from my bedroom in order to charge it a little later when I hear the faint sound of a plastic bag crinkling open.  I stop dead in my tracks to attempt to better distinguish where the noise is originating. My first consideration was that Zeus (my Rotti) had found his way into a bag of some sort ,full of goodies that he enjoys helping himself to; however, should not in any way shape or form be having, but I never heard him come up the stairs and it's rather hard to miss the footsteps of a hundred and twenty pound canine walking around anywhere in this house and then it hit me. I knew what that sound was and where it was originating from...Nan's room!
            
dun, dun, dunnnn....

            Really?! This chica was sneaking some candy or something of the like, in the middle of the morning (her night) - HA!  This of course made me start contemplating that maybe Nan was actually doing some reconnaissance earlier when she made her way into the living room earlier.  As I make the threshold of her bedroom, I hear the distinctive sound of crunching and chewing, pursued by further crinkling of the bag followed by more crunching.  Now what in the world was my Nanners eating, in her bed, at six-thirty in the morning, after she completed an area canvas for me, hmmmm???
            ...curiosity was most definitely getting the best of me - this woman
            In order not to startle her or give her a heart-attack of any sorts, I lay on the floor in her doorway and carefully peek around the corner and low and behold, my Nanners aka Toots (as in tootsie not choo-choo) was chowing down on some, as Nan would say, "Cheezi-O's" known to the rest of the world as Cheetos with her little legs dangling off the side of her bed, since her feet are unable to reach the floor due to its  height!  It is taking everything in my power not to 1. bust out in a roar of laughter or 2. bust in on her, catching her red-handed with her hand deep in the Cheetos bag. [haha]  I lay there in silence watching her finish off a few additional Cheetos from her bag then fold her secret stash up placing them inside of a large ziploc bag, which she sealed and placed either beside her nightstand or within the top drawer.  This will have to be examined later this afternoon.  ;)
            As I observe my Nan, I cannot help to smile from ear to ear, feeling the utmost amount of love and respect for this woman that for the most part raised me with the help of my beloved grandfather, may he rest in peace, and note the amount of joy and laughter she brings and fills my life with.  I watch [and chuckle ever so softly] as she wipes what I imagine are orange-cheese filled fingers off on her pajama pants, then carefully take a sip of her drink, swing her legs up onto her bed pull back her sheets as she lays back down and turns over to face where one of my grandfathers under shirts is draped. 
            I retreat from where I had been laying and return to the laundry on the lower level, with the same great smile on my face knowing how she makes me feel all the while imagining all the great justifications she is going to enlighten me with when I confront her about her little pre-dawn junk food smuggling she had going on this morning as we check her glucose.  I can only envision that they will be extremely entertaining.  

No comments:

Post a Comment